Riches from Outerspace
Browse articles:
Auto Beauty Business Culture Dieting DIY Events Fashion Finance Food Freelancing Gardening Health Hobbies Home Internet Jobs Law Local Media Men's Health Mobile Nutrition Parenting Pets Pregnancy Products Psychology Real Estate Relationships Science Seniors Sports Technology Travel Wellness Women's Health
Browse companies:
Automotive Crafts & Gifts Department Stores Electronics Fashion Food & Drink Health & Beauty Home & Garden Online Services Sports & Outdoors Subscription Boxes Toys, Kids & Baby Travel & Events

Riches from Outerspace

There are unimaginable riches that can be won from outerspace from near-earth asteroids and the solar system. The skill is already there what is lacking is the will.

Even though we have barely touched the surface of the Earth there are riches to be had in outerspace beyond our wildest imaginings. Mining a near-Earth asteroid would meet our mineral needs for not years but generations. Little is known about the composition of asteroids except it appears they vary in composition. Some of them are dark in color and absorb enough heat from the sun so they are warm. Other asteroids are bright and shiny reflecting heat back into outer space. It was recently discovered that one asteroid is in orbit around the Earth. This is an asteroid that would likely be a target for exploration, and potential mining operations.

NASAs space telescope Spitzer has revealed the presence of more then 100 near-Earth asteroids with a wildly differing composition. Some of these asteroids appear to have a rocky composition, some are a mixture of metals and stone, yet others appear to be polymetallic in composition. Generally asteroids are considered to be leftovers from the formation of planets billions of years ago.

Meteorites provide more than a clue about the composition of asteroids, and unlike asteroids they are readily available for study. The composition of asteroids has to be similar to that found in meteorites because they are made up of the same materials. As far as that goes so is the Earth.

We already know that there are approximately 7000 near-Earth asteroids with a total population that may be measured in the hundreds of thousands. Not counted in this inventory are the members of the solar system we already know that there are satellites of the larger planets that can contain oceans of hydrocarbons. Think of that, whole oceans of gasoline.

The most common type of meteorites are iron-nickel bearing stony meteorites called ordinary chondrites that are composed of olivine, iron as well as 7 to 10 percent nickel. They also contain high concentrations of other metals including the precious metals like gold, silver and platinum. Meteorites of this type compose 70 percent of all meteorites. The other 30 percent are iron-nickel and stone meteorites.

That only gives some idea of what can be had from outerspace without even considering the riches that can be had from the Moon. We have already been to the moon and established permanent stations in space. We already have the skill to get into space; what has been lacking to date is the will. The will is supplied when someone discovers an economic reason to go into space. This is a need that is apt to be discovered in the near future because private industry is already working on solutions to bring forward winning the wealth of outerspace.

Need an answer?
Get insightful answers from community-recommended
in Economics on Knoji.
Would you recommend this author as an expert in Economics?
You have 0 recommendations remaining to grant today.
Comments (3)

Very new and valuable information for me.thanks foe sharing

Absolutely fascinating article. I would love to read more about this.

Fascinating area of study.